|What is PWSweather.com? Why would I want to send my data to PWSweather.com? What do I need to post my data to PWSweather.com? Are there any costs involved? I live outside of the United States. Can I still post my weather data to PWSweather?|
|How do I register? I'm already registered to post my data to another weather service. Can I still post my data to PWSweather? Do I still need to register with PWSweather if I'm already registered with another weather service? Can I use my same username and password associated with my registration with another weather service? Can I use the same station ID that I use at another weather service? Can I register more than one weather station? I don't have my own web site. Is that required or should I enter where my data is displayed on another web site? I didn't receive the e-mail with the link to confirm my registration and activate my account. What do I do?|
|Now that I have signed up, how do I start posting to PWSweather? Do I need to leave my computer connected to the Internet all day, every day so it can post data to PWSweather? How often should I post to the PWSweather servers? I have WeatherLink or WeatherLinkIP. How do I set it up? How soon should my data appear on PWSweather.com? Why don't you support this or that software or dedicated hardware?|
|Interfacing PWS Data with Your HAMweather Installation|
|I have HAMweather installed on my server. Can I allow it to access my weather station's data? Can my HAMweather installation use my station information for forecasts by default? Can my HAMweather installation access other stations' data? Can my HW3image installation generate custom images of my and/or other stations' data?|
|I'm sending data, but it's not appearing on WeatherForYou.com. Why? Why isn't my data appearing on HAMweather.com or HAMweather.net? My data isn't being displayed on my PWSweather.com page even though it looks like I'm sending and its on other sites. The time is wrong on my data. How do I fix it? My station is in the wrong place on the map. How do I fix it?|
|Who is HAMweather anyway? Who is Weather For You? My question is not addressed here. How can I find out more information?|
What is PWSweather.com?
PWSweather.com is a partnership between HAMweather, LLC and weatherforyou.com, LLC. The purpose of the program is to bring together data from personal weather stations worldwide, display it and make it available for other purposes.
Why would I want to send my data to PWSweather.com?
When you send your data to PWSweather.com it is displayed with graphs and tables which can be easily accessed by anyone on the Internet. The information is also archived so weather history is available. Local forecasts on WeatherForYou.com will include your data and a link back to your web site (if available). If your server supports PHP, you can install the HAMweather scripts to display your data with the look and feel of your site along with providing other important weather information such as forecasts, radar, satellite and more. Local and regional weather networks have and can be formed with data being shared among sites.
What do I need to post my data to PWSweather.com?
First, you need a weather station that supports computer connections. Click here for a selection of weather stations that support our services from Ambient Weather.
Next, you'll need software to process data from the weather station and send it to the Internet. Currently software that supports posting to PWSweather include...
- Virtual Weather Station - http://www.ambientweather.com
- Weather Display - http://www.weather-display.com
- Weather Solution - http://www.thunderheadtech.com/WxSolution/
- Weather View 32 - http://www.weatherview32.com/
- wview - http://www.wviewweather.com/
- Cumulus - http://sandaysoft.com/products/cumulus
- weewx - http://www.weewx.com/
- PyWeather - http://github.com/cmcginty/PyWeather
- Weather Station Data Logger - http://wmrx00.sourceforge.net/
- WeatherSnoop - http://www.weathersnoop.com/home/
There are also stand-alone units (not requiring a computer) which support sending data...
- RainwiseNet IP-100 - http://www.rainwise.com/
- Weather Element - http://www.weatherelement.com/
- Meteohub - http://www.meteohub.de
If you have software that supports this feature, or would like to add this capability to your software, contact us for more information.
And, finally, you need to register at PWSweather.com to post your data.Are there any costs involved? No, this service is free of charge thanks to the combined efforts of HAMweather and WeatherForYou. I live outside of the United States. Can I still post my weather data to PWSweather? Yes, users from around the world are encouraged to post their weather station data to PWSweather.
|How do I register? Visit our registration page and complete the user information. Once you have created your account, you can then login and begin adding your personal weather stations. I'm already registered to post my data to another weather service. Can I still post my data to PWSweather? Most weather station software will allow you to post your data to multiple weather services. Do I still need to register with PWSweather if I'm already registered with another weather service? Yes. If you want to post your data to the PWSweather servers you will also need to register with us. The process of signing up to post to PWSweather is quick and easy, just visit our registration page for more details. Can I use my same username and password associated with my registration with another weather service? When you register with us, you will be able to provide a username and password of your choice. Can I use the same station ID that I use at another weather service? After you register with us, you will then be able to add weather stations to your account. When you add a new station, you will be allowed to request a station ID of your choice, which can be the same ID used with another weather service. However, if the station ID you requested has already been reserved for another station, we will suggest a unique station ID for you. Can I register more than one weather station? Yes, we allow you to assign multiple weather stations under a single account. Once you have signed up for the service, you can manage all of your weather stations very easily from within our user's area. I don't have my own web site. Is that required or should I enter where my data is displayed on another web site? The answer to both questions is no. One of the great things about PWSweather.com is your data will be displayed in a number of ways and archived on our site for easy searching. So you don't necessarily need your own web site and it's not necessary to enter the URL of where your data is displayed on another service. Just leave that section blank. You can use your station's page on PWSweather.com as your station's home page. However if you have your own site we encourage you to put the address in your station's profile so others will be able to find it and return to it for your weather information. I didn't receive the e-mail with the link to confirm my registration and activate my account. What do I do? Check your SPAM box to make sure it didn't end up in there. If you still can't find it, send a support message by clicking here. We'll manually activate your account. We hear this often from users of Microsoft e-mail services (MSN, Hotmail). To insure you receive messages in the future (like password reminders and other account information) let them know you need to receive messages from PWSweather.com.|
|Now that I have signed up, how do I start posting to PWSweather? Instructions for sending and uploading data vary by the software being used, so consult your software's documentation and/or support for more information. In general, you should look for information on servers, HAMweather, WeatherForYou, PWSweather and/or some combination of these. You will need to provide your station's ID and password after which you will be able to set an update schedule. Remember to enter your station ID, not your user ID, in your software. Do I need to leave my computer connected to the Internet all day, every day so it can post data to PWSweather? Posts of current observations will only occur while your software is running. If you are on a dial-up connection, your software should automatically connect as necessary according to your scheduled upload times to send your data. How often should I post to the PWSweather servers? Typically official National Weather Service (NWS) stations update every half-hour or every hour. While the software can upload more often and our servers will allow updates as often as your software will allow, a half-hour upload schedule is suitable. I have WeatherLink or WeatherLinkIP. How do I set it up? At this time Davis does not support sending data to PWSweather.com with any of their WeatherLink products. Please let Davis know you want this capability, especially the Technical Support Manager, Brett Lane, at email@example.com as well as their general technical support at firstname.lastname@example.org. How soon should my data appear on PWSweather.com? Once you begin sending data, it will show up almost immediately at PWSweather.com. If your data is not showing after about an hour, double check your weather station's settings for sending data. Also it is sometimes necessary to close the program and re-open it before the settings will update and begin sending data. If after trying this and waiting about another hour you still don't see your data, feel free to report it through our support system. Why don't you support this or that software or dedicated hardware? Our system supports receiving data from any software or dedicated hardware which will send data to us in the proper format. If the software or dedicated hardware you have doesn't include the option to send data to PWSweather.com contact the software's author or company and tell them you want the feature added. They can contact us by clicking here to send us a message and we'll be happy to send them the information.|
|Interfacing PWS Data with Your HAMweather Installation|
I have HAMweather installed on my server. Can I allow it to access my weather station's data?
Yes, as a PWS user who sends data to us you will have free limited access to allow your HAMweather installation to access your station's data on the HAMweather servers.
For HAMweather 3:
1. Open your /configs/fc_metar.ini file* with a raw text editor (i.e. Notepad, BBEdit, TextMate, TextPad, etc).
2. Change the [URLs] section to read as follows: metar_url=www.hamweather.net|weather.noaa.gov|weather.noaa.gov metar_prefix=/weather/current/%%find_place%%|/pub/data/observations/metar/decoded/%%find_place%%|/weather/current/%%find_place%% metar_postfix=.html|.TXT|.html Once the above file has been updated, your HAMweather installation will now use the HAMweather METAR mirror for all current observations. To access your station's data, simply browse to your HAMweather installation and viewing the METAR forecast type for your station's ID: hw3.cgi?forecast=metar&icao=KVABLACK1 NOTE: Review our License and Usage Agreement you agreed to when registering for more information on the use and restrictions regarding the use of the HAMweather METAR mirror. Can my HAMweather installation use my station information for forecasts by default? Yes, you can change the METAR station associated with your city to your unique station ID. Review the appropriate HAMweather 3 documentation or KnowledgeBase for further instructions on changing a location's altplace information. Can my HAMweather installation access other stations' data? Yes, once you have applied the HAMweather configuration modification described above, it will be able to display data for other stations as well. Simply set the forecast type in HAMweather to metar and set the ICAO to the station's ID you want to display. Can my HW3image installation generate custom images of my and/or other stations' data? Yes, once you follow the HAMweather METAR configuration modification described above, then your HAMweather and HWimage plug-in will be able to display your and other stations' data.
I'm sending data, but it's not appearing on WeatherForYou.com. Why?
The database at WeatherForYou.com is manually updated when new stations are found to be sending data. These updates usually occur on Tuesday and Friday mornings. This only applies to weatherforyou.com and not this site (PWSweather.com)... your data on PWSweather.com will be displayed within minutes after it is received. If your data isn't showing with local forecasts on WeatherForYou.com after Tuesday or Friday morning free to e-mail email@example.com for information.
Why isn't my data appearing on HAMweather.com or HAMweather.net?
The HAMweather sites demonstrate the standard capabilities of the HAMweathe scripts which can be used to display weather information in a way that matches the look of the host site. Since including personal weather station data is an optional feature, only data from METAR stations is displayed on the HAMweather sites.
My data isn't being displayed on my PWSweather.com page even though it looks like I'm sending and its on other sites.
Most often we find a station isn't even trying to connect to our server to send data. These items most often correct the issue. Note that once you make a change its a good idea to shut down and restart the software, as some settings only load when the program starts.
- Make sure your station ID and password are entered correctly.
- Passwords can have ONLY letters and numbers, no punctuation or special characters are allowed. If it does please click on 'Profile' in the top menu bar and change it to one that only has letters and numbers.
- Passwords are cAsE sensitive. It needs to be entered exactly as you enter it to login to PWSweather.com.
- Do not 'cut and paste' your station ID or password into your software. Some software will only save your information properly if you manually type it into the software. (Thanks to Gary at KTXNORTH9 for finding this and letting us know)
- Don't confuse your station ID with your PWSweather.com user ID. The station ID needs to be entered in your software.
- Look at the schedule or interval to make sure that is set.
- Some have reported switching between schedule and interval or vice versa has corrected issues similar to this (when this option is available).
- Make sure any Internet options in your software are enabled.
- Check that your firewall isn't blocking the connection (Microsoft One Care has done this in multiple cases). Although it looks like a regular browser entry some firewalls get suspicious because of all the information contained in the string.
- With Heavy Weather Pro it has been reported that unchecking enable uploads and rapid-fire before enabling PWSweather uploads then re-checking enable uploads and rapid-fire one at a time has corrected this problem. (Thanks FASTPHOTO for this tip)
Software sends data to each site individually. Success to one location does not necessarily guarantee success to all sites.The time is wrong on my data. How do I fix it? Your time zone probably needs to be corrected. The system automatically determines your time zone based on the longitude you enter. Typically this problem occurs in the western hemisphere (US, Canada, Mexico, South America) because the longitude was not entered as a negative number. Once you correct your longitude and another packet of data is sent your time should be correct. My station is in the wrong place on the map. How do I fix it? The position on the map is based on the latitude and longitude you enter for your station in decimal format. We recommend having at least three numbers to the right of the decimal for better accuracy (i.e. 42.187). Of course the more numbers the more accurate the plot. Also make sure you're actually using decimal coordinates and not just degrees/minutes/seconds with a decimal put in after the degrees (42-18-36 is NOT 42.1836). A good place to convert between the two systems is available by clicking here. Also do not use UTM coordinates. For latitude there should be no more than two numbers to the left of the decimal and for longitude three numbers to the left of the decimal.
|Who is HAMweather anyway? HAMweather, LLC is the company that has brought you the HAMweather suite of products and services that allow you to easily add weather data and forecasts to your own web sites. Who is Weather For You? Weather For You was created to increase awareness about independent weather stations and the role they play in reporting information from areas where official NWS reporting stations don't currently exist. One of their goals from the beginning was to bring together information from a wide range of private weather stations to a single resource. They also provide support and services to personal weather stations to enhance their web sites with various forecast and weather information products. My question is not addressed here. How can I find out more information? Please fill out our contact request form with your information and inquiry and we will get back to you. Alternatively, you can visit the HAMweather support forums and search or post your question in the appropriate Personal Weather Stations forum.|